– In-depth hands-on experiences in 6 different life science careers
– Career-related activities
– Talks with professionals from the field
– Group project work
– Working with a life science mentor
– The opportunity to showcase final projects to friends, family, and the zoo community
– A $250 gift card awarded to those who complete the program
Applicants will be accepted based on the quality of their application. The Life Science Career Lab has very limited space available and we will only accept fifteen participants every year. The small group size ensures that all participants have ample opportunity for individual attention, mentorship, and one-on-one guidance.
To be eligible for program participation, you must:
– be between the ages of 14 and 18 by January 6, 2018.
– live in Erie County.
– show a demonstrated interest in science.
– show negative results on a PPD Tuberculosis (TB) skin test.
– be available 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. every Saturday from January 6th through February 17th, 2018, and 9:00 A.M – 2:00 P.M. on February 24th, 2018.
Other factors for consideration will include:
– Identifying as a student from a gender or racial group that is underrepresented in Life Science professions.
– Coming from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background.
– Submitting a compelling application along with a strong letter of recommendation from a current or past guidance counselor or science teacher.
Applications will be accepted through December 4th, 2017. We will notify applicants of their acceptance by December 11th, 2017 by e-mail or mail. Upon receipt of a confirmation letter, you will have one week to accept the opportunity. It is important to note that PRIOR to the start of the program, the Buffalo Zoo must receive proof of negative results on a PPD Tuberculosis (TB) skin test