The Buffalo Zoo is pleased to offer our Life Science Career Lab program this January. This eight-week program offers career-based educational experience for teens ages 14-18 who have limited opportunities to gain exposure to life science careers. This program provides:
— In-depth hands-on experiences in 6 different life science careers
— Career-related activities
— Talks with professionals from the field
— Group project work
— Working with a life science mentor
— The opportunity to showcase final projects to friends, family, and the zoo community
— A $250 VISA gift card awarded to those who complete the program
— A paid internship awarded to two students who complete the program
What: STEM career exploration program
Who: Teens ages 14 – 18
Where: At the Zoo
When: Every Saturday Jan. 8 through Feb 19, 2022 with an event day on Feb. 26, 2022
Time: 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. ( 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on event day)
Cost: Chosen participants will receive a $250 VISA gift card upon successful completion of program
How: Click the Sign Up Pdf button for printable form or submit application via the Google Form link
Applicants will be accepted based on the quality of their application. The Life Science Career Lab has very limited space available and we will only accept fifteen participants every year. The small group size ensures that all participants have ample opportunity for individual attention, mentorship, and one-on-one guidance.
To be eligible for program participation, you must:
– be between the ages of 14 and 18 by January 8, 2022
– live in Erie County
– show a demonstrated interest in science
– show negative results on a PPD Tuberculosis (TB) skin test
– be available at 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. every Saturday from January 8th through February 19th, 2022, and 9:00 A.M – 2:00 P.M. on February 26th, 2022
Other factors for consideration will include:
– Identifying as a student from a gender or racial group that is underrepresented in Life Science professions.
– Coming from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background.
– Submitting a compelling application along with a strong letter of recommendation from a current or past guidance counselor or science teacher.
Applications will be accepted through November 22nd, 2021. We will notify applicants of their acceptance by November 26th, 2021 by e-mail or mail. Upon receipt of a confirmation letter, you will have one week to accept the opportunity. It is important to note that PRIOR to the start of the program, the Buffalo Zoo must receive proof of negative results on a PPD Tuberculosis (TB) skin test
Note for in-person classes: All guests are required to have their temperature checked before they enter the Zoo. Any guest with a body temperature of 100.4 degrees or above will not be permitted to enter the Zoo. If you do not feel well, we ask that you do not visit. During your visit, we require the use of face masks/coverings at all times for all guests ages 2 and up. In addition, all participants will be asked to maintain social distancing throughout all programs. Some activities will be outdoors, so please dress for the weather.