THIS SECTION MUST BE SIGNED BY PARENT OR GUARDIAN OF PARTICIPANT BEFORE REGISTRATION CAN BE ACCEPTED
This document affects your legal rights: Read carefully before signing.
In consideration of my child being permitted to participate in Buffalo Zoo’s Virtual Summer Safari and any related activities (collectively, the "Virtual Summer Safari"), I hereby attest to the following:
- Activity and Associated Risks. I understand that Buffalo Zoo staff’s ability to provide supervision for my child is limited by the virtual environment used to provide the Virtual Summer Safari. I understand that Buffalo Zoo cannot ensure that the virtual environment is free from third party activities, including interference by third parties of the virtual experience (for example “Zoombombing”). I understand that Virtual Summer Safari may include directed physical activities that despite best efforts to prevent injury may result in injury to my child.
- Assumption of the Risks. I hereby freely assume the above-mentioned risks as well as other risks not listed that are part of this activity.
- Parental Obligations. I hereby agree to the following obligations to allow my child to participate in the Virtual Summer Safari:
- I will maintain and supervise any online accounts that my child may participate in to access the Virtual Summer Safari.
- I will not and will ensure that my child does not record any portions of the Virtual Summer Safari. I will not and will ensure that my child does not share any Virtual Summer Safari materials with non-participants.
- I will ensure that my child is appropriately dressed when using the virtual environment and that the computer and camera that they are using does not show inappropriate things in our home or of other persons in the home. I agree that Buffalo Zoo staff, to help create a safe environment for other participants, may turn off my child’s video if they notice something inappropriate or that may be questionable.
- I will ensure my child exhibits appropriate behavior. Buffalo Zoo staff will review appropriate and inappropriate behaviors with participants. Bullying, including cyberbullying, during a Virtual Summer Safari session or outside of a session is not appropriate and unacceptable. I understand that Buffalo Zoo staff will address issues and consequences with me and my child and that consequences include without limitation temporary or permanent removal from Virtual Summer Safari.
- I will follow and ensure that my child follows the Buffalo Zoo Virtual Summer Safari Electronic Communication Policy that states:
- In order to protect participant privacy, when logged into Virtual Summer Safari, participant screen names must be first name only.
- No non-Zoo programs or browser windows should be running on the screen during program time.
- Background noises should be kept to a minimum or eliminated entirely when possible.
- No distribution of session log-in links or passwords.
- Any private (one to one) electronic communication between staff and participants, including the use of social networking websites like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, instant messaging, texting, etc. is prohibited.
- All communication between staff and youths must be transparent and public.
- they may communicate on group sites where anyone who is a member can see the conversation
- email communication is preferred to be between the parent and Zoo staff
- They may communicate in private media set up for two-way classes and discussion groups, such as a zoom class. These will be always facilitated by at least two approved adults with at least two children and one approved adult in each breakout room. The overall facilitators may join any breakout room at any time.
- I am responsible and will provide any equipment needed for Virtual Summer Safari, such as a computer or tablet, internet access, access to either computer-installed or separate camera and microphone, and a dedicated flat work surface for completing crafts and experiments. I also understand that any damage to said equipment is the sole responsibility of the owner of said equipment.
- RELEASE OF LIABILITY. I hereby RELEASE Buffalo Zoo, its employees, agents, officers, and contractors, FROM ALL LIABILITIES, CAUSES OF ACTION, CLAIMS AND DEMANDS that arise in any way from any injury, death, loss or harm that occur to me, my child, or to any other person or to any property during the Virtual Summer Safari or in any way related to the Virtual Summer Safari. This RELEASE includes claims for the negligence of Buffalo Zoo. This RELEASE does not extend to claims for gross negligence, intentional or reckless misconduct, or any other liabilities that New York law does not permit to be excluded by agreement. I also agree NOT TO SUE or make a claim against Buffalo Zoo for death, injuries, loss, or harm that occur during the Virtual Summer Safari or are related in any way to the Virtual Summer Safari.
- INDEMNITY. I agree to INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND Buffalo Zoo from and against any and all claims arising out of or in any way connected with my child's participation in the Virtual Summer Safari, including, but not limited to, all attorneys' fees and disbursements through and including any appeal. I understand and agree that this indemnity includes any claims based on the negligence, action or inaction of Buffalo Zoo and covers bodily injury (including death), property damage, and loss by theft or otherwise, whether suffered by me or my child either before during or after participation in the Virtual Summer Safari.
- PUBLICITY RIGHTS: I grant Buffalo Zoo the right to take screenshots of the Virtual Summer Safari, which may include images of me and my child. To the fullest extent allowed by law, I grant to Buffalo Zoo permission to copyright, use, and publish (including by electronic means) such likeness of me and my child, whether in whole or part, in any form, without restrictions, for current and future marketing purposes.
By registering for Virtual Summer Safari, I agree as follows: Consent for Minors.
I am the legal custodial parent or legal guardian of the above-named minor(s), and I hereby authorize and permit said minor to participate in the Virtual Summer Safari and in all activities, events, and programs that are part of or are associated with the program. I have read and understood material on the website about this program.
I hereby give permission for my child to participate in the Virtual Summer Safari at the Buffalo Zoo. I agree to assume all risks connected therewith. I agree to release and discharge in advance the Buffalo Zoo, and their employees from any and all liability for personal injury, death or property damage connected with my child’s participation in the Virtual Summer Safari program. Checking the box that you have read and agree with this consent form confirms that you have read the Virtual Summer Safari program information on the website, above permission statements, that you understand it, and that you agree to be bound by it.